The appointment of an adult guardian (‘committee’ (“kaw-mit-tee”) in BC through the Patients Property Act.  This can be either/or committeeship of the person (health) or committee of the estate (property).  Committees of the person can only be appointed by a court.   Committees of the estate are either appointed by a court or through a certificate of incapability.  Please note that the certificate process for appointment of a committee of estate was recently changed – the Public Guardian and Trustee is now appointed “Statutory Property Guardian” – see the PGT’s website for this guide to the process: A Guide to the Certificate of Incapability Process Under the Adult Guardianship Act (May 2016).

« Back to Glossary Index