Elder Law Clinic
The Elder Law Clinic operated by Seniors First BC offers pro bono legal services to eligible older adults residing in British Columbia on a wide range of legal matters, including:
- Preparing wills, powers of attorney, representation agreements
- Understanding your legal proceedings and what to expect in court
- Reviewing court documents
- Preparing your own case and submissions
- Representation at certain court hearings in the Supreme Court of British Columbia and the Provincial Court (Small Claims Division) of British Columbia
- Assistance in matters of adult guardianship
- General legal advice
While we do not offer legal services in either family or criminal law, we can direct persons to organizations who may be able to assist. Our clinics are held by appointment only.
Contact our Seniors Abuse and Information Line at 604-437-1940 or Toll Free at 1-866-437-1940 for further information or to arrange a consultation with a lawyer. If you are calling about a general Seniors First BC matter or are currently a client of Seniors First BC, call 604-336-5653.
Community Legal Clinics
We offer legal consultations for seniors in the community at several locations by appointment:
- Seniors First BC Office in Downtown Vancouver – by appointment only.
- Kay’s Place in collaboration with West End Seniors’ Network in Vancouver – every 1st Friday of the month, from 10 AM to 12PM.
- Minoru Centre for Active Living in Richmond – every 4th Thursday of the month from 10AM to 12PM.
- Seniors’ Services Society of BC in New Westminster – every 3rd Friday of the month from 2pm to 4pm.
- Newton Seniors Centre in Surrey – every first Tuesday of each month between 10am to 12pm.
- Nanaimo Family Life Association – Opening soon!
To be eligible for our Elder Law Clinic and Community Legal Clinics, the person’s gross annual income must be under $40,000 for a 1-person household + $10,000 per additional household member (e.g. $50,000 for 2, $60,000 for 3, and $70,000 for 4). For advance planning services, the person’s assets should be under $150,000.
New! – Advanced Planning Clinics
Volunteer, pro bono lawyers at our clinics provide free legal assistance to eligible low-income older adults (55+) who need help with their Advance Planning including drafting and executing Wills, Powers of Attorney, and Representation Agreements.
Clinics will be held monthly starting September 14th, 2022 in Prince George in partnership with the Prince George Council of Seniors. Clinics will also be launching in Victoria and Nanaimo in the near future. Please check back to this page for updates.
To be eligible for our clinics, clients must have:
- A gross annual income that is less than $40,000 for a 1 person household
+ $10,000 per additional household member (e.g. $50,000 for 2, $60,000 for 3, $70,000 for 4);
- A household’s total net assets that are no greater than $150,000.
For more information, call our Advance Planning Clinic Line at 236-521-9665 (Lower Mainland) or 1-833-512-0665 (Elsewhere in BC).
Legal Advocacy Program
Our legal advocate can provide legal advice and representation for the following legal issues:
- Residential Tenancy/Housing
- Pensions and Benefits
Contact our Seniors Abuse and Information Line at 604-437-1940 or Toll Free at 1-866-437-1940 for further information or to arrange a consultation with our legal
Seniors First BC’s Legal Programs are made possible with funding from The Law Foundation of BC. For other issues that impact the health and well-being of an older adult, call our Seniors Abuse and Information Line (SAIL) — a safe place for older adults, and those who care about them, to talk to a trained intake worker about abuse or mistreatment and receive information or support.