Consumer Complaints

Consumer issues are regulated by a number of federal, provincial and municipal government ministries and tribunals. To deal with a consumer problem, the first step is to categorize which legal area the problem relates to. The second step would be to identify which government office deals with this area of law and which laws and complaints procedures are in place to assist the consumer.

Federal ministries and tribunals deal with federally regulated areas such as banking, bankruptcy and telecommunications.

Provincial ministries and Consumer Protection BC deal with a wide range of issues including unfair business practices, door-to-door sales, energy contracts, collection agencies, funeral homes and travel agencies.

Municipal governments deal with areas such as building bylaws, contractor licensing and municipal services.

Consumer Purchases

Consumer Protection BC


Licensing and Inquiry Centre
#307-3450 Uptown Blvd.
Victoria BC  V8Z 0B9

Telephone: 604-320-1667  Toll Free: 1-888-564-9963  Fax: 250-920-7181

Better Business Bureauimage067

All types of businesses – online, offline, BBB Accredited Businesses, or non-accredited businesses. Also charities and non-profits. Complaints relating to marketplace transactions, including advertising claims.


ICBC Customer relations
151 West Esplanade
North Vancouver BC  V7M 3H9

Phone: 604-982-6210  Toll free: 1-800-445-9981  Fax: 604-661-2896

ICBC Fairness Commissioner

Peter Burns, Q.C.
ICBC Fairness Commissioner
P.O. Box 86686
North Vancouver BC V7L 4L2


Life and Health Insurance

Ombudservice for Life and Health Insurance

Toll Free 1-888-295-8112


Complaint Form: Submit a Complaint

Auto Home and Business Insuranceimage023

General Insurance Ombudservice

1 877 225 0446

Online Form:

Real Estate, Pension and Financial Services


Financial Institutions Commission
Box 12116
Suite 2800 – 555 West Hastings
Vancouver BC, V6B 4N6

Telephone: 604-660-3555  Toll Free: 1-866-206-3030  Fax: 604-660-3365

Banking & Investments

Banks, Trust Companies, Loans and Insurance Companiesimage027-2

Financial Consumer Agency of Canada
427 Laurier Avenue West, 6th Floor
Ottawa ON
K1R 1B9

1-866-461-FCAC (3222) Fax: 1-866-814-2224 / 613-941-1436


Banks and Investment Services

Ombudsman for Banking and Investment Servicesimage071



Financial Advisors

BC Securities Commission

Elder Financial Abuse page

BCSC InvestRight – Investor Education website

BCSC Public Inquiries Line

Telephone: 604-899-6854 or 1-800-373-6393 (toll free across Canada)


Investment Dealersimage032

Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC)
Suite 2800 – Royal Centre
1055 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, B.C.

P.O. Box 11164  V6E 3R5

Complaints Line: 1-877-442-4322

Financial Institutions in BC

Financial Institutions Commissionimage034-1

–       Real Estate

–       Mortgage Brokers

–       Financial Institutions

–       Pensions

–       Financial Services Tribunal Appeal

–       Complaint Form

E-mail inquiries:

Credit Unions & Trust Companies:

Credit Union Deposit Insurance:



Real Estate:

Mortgage Brokers:

General Inquiries:

House Construction

Safety Standards Appeal Boardimage037-1
PO Box 9844 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9T2

250-387-4021  Fax: 250-356-6645

Canadian Home Builders Assoc. of British Columbiaimage038

Helps consumers plan their renovation and explains what to do when there are problems.